If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (904) 721-2230

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Space Heaters Can Cause Fires in Your Jacksonville Home

1/15/2019 (Permalink)

Space heaters cause 43 percent of home heating fires and 85 percent of home heating fire deaths.

How Space Heaters Cause Fires in Your Jacksonville Home

Space heaters continue to be a source of household fires resulting in fire damage. Sometimes it is a case of the space heater sparking a fire, or causing a plug to overheat and causing a fire inside a wall at the plug's location. Both types of fires leave water, smoke, soot and odor problems that must be addressed quickly to prevent secondary damage from occurring.

Once the fire is out in your Jacksonville home, your SERVPRO team can go to work for you. First, they quickly access the damage to gauge the scope of the fire and immediately begin to remove any standing water from putting out the blaze using the most expedient method for your situation.  

After removing the water, air movers can be used to dry the affected areas and discourage mold growth. Then, we can begin addressing the residual fire damage to the structure of the home. Smoke can contain soot, ash, and also harmful tars and carbons. Carbon monoxide is of particular concern, as it is harmful and has no odor to alert you to its presence. That is why it is standard for SERVPRO to test the burned areas for carbon monoxide to ensure your home doesn't contain harmful fumes.

We use special cleaners and dry sponges to remove smoke and soot residue on nonporous surfaces and objects. After thoroughly cleaning the floors and walls, the removal of the odor from the affected room or rooms is the final step in the remediation process. One method that effectively removes odors quickly is the use of a thermal fogger which recreates the heat and pressure of the fire and pushes deodorizer in the room and over possessions in the same manner the smoke penetrated them.

You can rely on the experts at SERVPRO of Arlington to come to your home any time of the day or night to turn back the clock on your fire damage. Call (904) 721-2230 for a consultation with one of our experts.

Jacksonville has the largest park system in North America.  Read more here.

Other News

View Recent Posts