How to Cope with a Water Damaged Home after a Storm
Florida hurricanes can dump torrential rains across Jacksonville within minutes.
Storm damage, and indeed any kind of water damage, can wreak havoc on a house. The Jacksonville water damage is difficult to repair, but it is possible with the help of professionals.
Here is a step by step guide on dealing with water damage in your home.
1. Turn off all electrical power before re-entering the home. Wet wiring or electrical appliances can be an electrocution hazard.
2. Wear the appropriate protective gear. Wear sturdy clothing, boots, eye protection, thick rubber gloves, and a facemask or vapor respirator. This is important to protect you from potential dangers in water damaged home.
3. Re-enter the house slowly. Insects, rodents, and reptiles may have entered the home along with the water. These may bite if surprised.
4. Discard any textiles or anything porous. These items hold water and also provide a fertile breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and other pathogens. Mattresses, box springs, and anything with fabric or particleboard will need to be discarded. Be sure to make a list and take photos of these items before they are thrown out so you can claim them with insurance.
5. Remove furniture, clothing, and anything else you hope to save. Clothing and furniture can often be professionally cleaned and salvaged.
6. Remove leftover water if possible. Mop or use a wet vacuum to remove standing water. Liquid left standing or soaking a porous object will begin to breed bacteria and mold within 24 hours. Dry anything that is damp and open windows to maintain good ventilation.
7. Call a professional water damage restoration service. While you can handle the first six steps on your own, you will need a professional to make your home safe and structurally sound. A professional restoration service will know how to identify areas where water is likely to collect and dry these. In addition, these services have the equipment to quickly dry hard-to-reach places and kill infectious microbes.
It is natural to be stressed when your home suffers water damage in Jacksonville. It is important to remain calm and methodically work at restoring your home to a safe place to live.
SERVPRO of Arlington / Jacksonville East is a 24/7 emergency water removal & flood clean up repair service company, and our technicians are highly trained and experienced with every water damage situation.